June 14, 2009

Lisa's Recovery Continues

Lisa continues to improve and each day I see something new and different. Her appetite continues to return to its pre-surgical vivaciousness and her activity level, while not overwhelming to begin with, is also increasing. This first week following I've been very careful to not over exert her, but at the same time I've been getting her to do small physical therapy-type exercises in the backyard.

She is so weak and has absolutely no muscle tone in her legs. Physical therapy right now consists of walking up and down some of the moderately sloped sections in my backyard. When her stitches are removed, we'll be able to work a little harder on this. For now, we need her to get all better. She's been doing a good job of leaving her stitches alone; I've only needed to use the e-collar just a few times.

Perhaps the best part of her recovery is the glimpses I keep getting of a budding personality in her. I had a few peeks at this prior to this dreadful bloating incident happening, but now that I've spent more consistent time with her I really get to see this sprouting personality a little more in depth. It makes me smile because for the first time in her life, she's no one's cash machine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment