June 14, 2009

The First 72 Hours

The hours following GDV surgery are critical. This time is almost as critical as the surgery itself. For Lisa, she would be no different than any other patient. Her surgery occurred at 6 or so in the evening; we were instructed to pick her up at 9 when the vet's office closed to transport her to the emergency vet's office for overnight observation. Later that night, we picked her up. I could hardly contain my tears of joy at seeing her. I tried to keep my composure as post-op instructions were conveyed.

The first 24 hours are probably the most crucial of the 72 as the risk of recurrence is high along with a host of other complications. Lisa's outstanding performance during the surgery gave her a good fighting chance going into the 72 hours. I had eerie chill run down my spine though as I filled out the DNR form for Lisa. This question was something I had never given a moment's thought to, other than, "Of course, I'd do whatever," as the standard answer. However, this question wasn't about me. It was about Lisa and I had to be honest and do what would be best FOR HER. My answer was to do what was reasonable and that I had to be contacted if anything further needed to be decided. Thank the Lord, the staff did not have to use that form! Lisa made it through the night in terrific shape. We had to pick her up at 7 AM and take her back to the vet's office for observation during the day.

We would keep this routine up for one more day before she was discharged. Her condition kept improving each day despite her not having an appetite. Can't say I really blame her - given what she just went through, not sure I'd have an appetite either. Plus, the medication probably wasn't helping. Finally, Saturday night we were able to bring her home. It was such a relief to do that. Now, we could really work on her getting her better. By Sunday afternoon, Lisa started taking her first bites of food - some boiled chicken and rice mixed with a teeny bit of canned pumpkin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment