June 14, 2009

Two Weeks Later

Two weeks following Lisa's brush with death, she continues to do well. Her incision is pretty much healed and she's got a spring in her step like I've never seen before. You can tell she really feels better. I was slow to wean her off her pain medication since she had both mouth and abdomen procedures done I didn't want her to be in any discomfort. Unlike us 2-leggers, our 4-legged companions prefer to suffer in silence and never let on that they're in pain.

In observing Lisa, I noticed she would sometimes fall. Not just fall down, it was like someone ripped the rug out from under her feet. Splat! She would go crashing down on the floor. At first, I thought she wasn't getting any traction on my tile and wood floors; she did slip a lot and it wasn't all the time, just once here and there. However, that changed and it became a little more frequent. When she fell outside on the grass in the same manner as she did in the house, I scratched my head. Hmmm....ear infection, perhaps? She had been scratching at one ear; again, not enough to warrant another visit to the vet. Prior to her surgery, she had been seen by 2 vets in the past month (both my own vet and the SPCA's); no one ever commented about her having an ear infection even though it is extremely common in mill dogs. The ear didn't smell bad; it smelled like an ear should. It also was relatively clean, a little waxy, but clean, nonetheless.

As I continued to observe her, I noticed her trembling just prior to falling. I also watched the manner in which she fell. Of course, these were instances when I could not come to her aid and prevent it from happening. Being the knowledge junkie that I am, I get on the Internet and start doing some research into canine vestibular disorders. Vestibular disorders are nothing new to me as I was diagnosed last year with both Meniere's Disease and Migraine Associated Vertigo. Lisa kind of acted the way I do when I'm feeling dizzy or off balance. Regardless, her falling episodes kept getting worse. Instead of the 1 or 2 a day, it would be 5 or 6 a day. She still wasn't scratching at her ear other than just the occasional scratch.

Her follow-up appointment at Angel Vet was due and she needed to have the staples removed, so I figured this was a good opportunity to ask the vet about this. While we didn't meet with Dr. Hassler, we did meet with Dr. Lane. Dr. Lane did a full neurological exam on Lisa; he even took her outside to walk so he could get a better idea of what she was doing. He spent a lot of time with us. I talked him through her situation and we discussed various diagnoses, ear infections, pinched nerves, brain tumor, etc. Our conclusion was she possibly had an inner ear infection; that combined with the lack of muscle tone and poor coordination skills were making it hard for Lisa to keep her feet under her. Ear drops were prescribed and Dr. Lane did a geriatric blood panel on her. The results of the blood test which came back a day later were fine.

Dr. Lane suggested Lisa do underwater therapy on a treadmill. While in any normal situation, his suggestion would make logical sense. However, try as they might, most vets and their staff don't understand puppy mill dogs - not really. It's not their fault. How could any reasonably sane individual who has a true love for animals understand puppy mill owners and what they put those dogs through? Keeping a dog in small cage for its entire life, never allowing it to run, jump and play and be...umm a dog? It's unconscionable! Despite numerous pictures of these horrid places, my brain still cannot comprehend the concept. I digress. Getting back to Lisa and the underwater treadmill, my first thought was probably not a good idea for her - perhaps when she's rehabilitated more and understands that nothing bad is going to happen, maybe... Right now, we'll just keep walking in the yard. ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment