June 15, 2009

The Training Challenge

Training Lisa has taken on a life of its own. Her hearing and eye sight add new elements to an already challenging situation and test my skills as a foster mom. In earlier posts, I mentioned that Lisa and Penny were adult "puppies". In many ways, they are and in equally many ways, they're not. Puppies tend to learn the 'action equals result' equation quickly, not so with Lisa. To look at this through her eyes, Lisa only knows this equation equals bad for her. My husband and I, along with other people Lisa has met, are working hard to change her definition of this equation and show her a different kind of result.

Often when I go to pet her, she'll squeeze her eyes tight and wince. My Tedi used to do the same thing when he came here a year ago. I tell Lisa the same thing I did Tedi, "Sweetie, we don't hit here." It also reminds me to start petting her under the chin or on the sides of the body FIRST. Eventually, they learn that motions towards the top of the head aren't going to be painful. It's a reflex; in addition to being hit, Lisa was grabbed by the scruff to be pulled from her cage. This method is common handling practice for mill owners when moving the dogs around to different pens. When "directing" Lisa, I've been careful to use very light pressure on her collar to encourage her to move in the direction I need her to go.

Since Lisa does not understand the concept of receiving a treat as a reward for a desired behavior, I've had to be more creative in this area. Lisa loves to be petted, so instead of using treats as a reward, we're using praise combined with a good lovin' on. Using affection as a reward instead of a treat is no different than using a toy on a dog that's toy-focused. Eventually, I'll be able to bridge the treats in, but for now this works. I'm careful to not push her too hard or expect too much from her. Mill dogs are almost feral in a way and operate somewhat on instinct. Lisa has survived by being stronger and more adaptable. She's gotten this far in life with the skills she has. Now, we have to take those skills, whatever they happen to be, cultivate them and expand upon them. Additionally, we need to deprogram her. Deprogramming 11 years of behavior and bad experiences won't happen overnight. It will take time, patience, understanding, and above all love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment