June 15, 2009

A Journey of a Thousand Miles

As Lao-Tzu said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step," so is my journey with Lisa. Her growth continues to impress me. Each day, I'm tickled when she doesn't do something she used to do before or does something entirely new. One of her cutest behaviors is rolling. She will pick a spot either on the tile floor or the carpet, flop down and roll on her back. She'll spend anywhere between 10-15 or more seconds kicking her feet up in the air and do what I call "giggling" all the while. It is absolutely the greatest thing I've seen her do, but don't let her catch you watching or she'll stop. If she sees me watching her, she'll flip back over and get this look on her face as if to say, "ignore what you saw, you didn't see me do that." I love seeing her act like a dog and enjoy something so puritanical as rolling on her back.

Lisa has become quite expressive with her face. I've noticed her scowling when I get her to do either something she's not sure about or something she outright doesn't want to do (i.e. go outside because it's hot out there). Her scowling look consists of her furrowing her eyebrows. Of course, I've seen the stressed look more than I'd care to. That wide eyed look with a mouth stretched in an almost fake smile-like pant is hard to see on a full coated dog, but on a shaved down one those signals ring out. She does wag her tail when she feels like it. The ears perk up once in blue moon; they mostly hang down or go back depending upon the situation. I try not to put her in stressful situations, but through the course of the day she's bound to run into them. Continual assurance, lots of love, and understanding are what will get us over those rough patches.

0 comments:

Post a Comment