June 15, 2009

Tackling the Challenge, Pt 2

Continuing onto the next three bullets, these are primarily all training issues: potty training or housebreaking, dealing with expectations, and redefining the command + action = something good equation.

Starting with potty training, this area is one Lisa has trouble with. I have to openly admit that I had a lapse in my reasoning and began to trust her too much. Subsequently, I got stung by that false assumption. Following the puppy methodology of potty training, we started out doing really well. Then, I let the team down. I falsely believed she was getting the hang of this and tested her too soon. Now, we're back on track and happily, we've not had a true Lisa accident in the house in over 7 days (as of June 15). Yay! I say a true Lisa accident because she had a case of the dire rears and those cannot be counted against the team's overall performance. Poop, especially those of the dire nature, happens. Thankfully and knock on wood, Lisa doesn't have any incontinence issues, although she has done some submissive tinkling here and there. I feel like we should have an OSHA sign up that says how many days we've gone without an accident. Did I mention it was important to celebrate the small victories? It is very important!

As far as the expectations go, Lisa doesn't understand that she is expected to behave in a certain manner when indoors. For this reason, I'm glad she's here with me instead of boarding at a kennel. It would be impossible to teach this anywhere else, but in a home environment. It's probably worth mentioning that Lisa only in the past week has actually started responding to her name. A name wasn't even a concept she even knew existed. I didn't choose her name, the SPCA did in attempt to make her more marketable. To be honest, I don't even call her Lisa; I call her Lise (pronounced like lease for a new lease on life), but for consistency sake, we'll stick with Lisa.

In my house, Lisa does have my dogs to watch, but I've found that she hasn't been paying them any attention when it comes to picking up cues. Yet, one more developmental area she's been deprived in. We all know that a dog can teach another dog something faster than we humans ever could. Still, she doesn't have this basic tool in her toolbelt. That leaves it up to us to teach her not to scratch the walls, not go in the house, when its okay to relax and lie down, etc. Let me be clear, these are not the same expectations we place on children. I don't expect my dogs to be perfect little gentlemen, they're not going to be, because they're dogs. Dogs will do what dogs will do, which includes bark, jump, sniff, chew, eat, drool, lick and a myriad of other verbs all associated with dog behavior. Still, there are certain expectations placed on a dog when they become a part of household. Lisa needs to understand that with the blessing of a new life does come a little bit of responsibility. ;-)

Lastly, redefining the Command + Action = Something Good equation is one that will take the longest to acheive. It will take time and consistency to show Lisa that good things do come from humans. It doesn't always have to be bad. We already have a solid bridge to build upon since she doesn't have a fear of people. She readily walks up to anyone she sees and waits for them to pet her. If you stop, she not so gently reminds you with her paw that you've seemed to have stopped and she didn't give you leave yet. We are so lucky that both mill girls, Penny and Lisa, didn't have a fear of people. While Lisa uses people for affection, Penny, in the beginning, didn't see a need to fraternize with people. Still, one more way mill dogs are psychologically traumatized and handicapped by their experiences. Truthfully, in that environment, you can't blame them for anything; they are a true product of their environment. In the few days she had fostered with me, I already saw a change in her opinion.

While we have this bridge with Lisa, she does have a bit of an alter ego, too, Lady Freeze. Lady Freeze shows up whenever Lisa is concerned, stressed, unsure, or unwilling. This freezing stance is another mill dog defense mechanism. Another of her quirks, she would not go through the door ahead of me. She waits until I go first, then if she feels comfortable which could be 15 or more seconds later, she'll go. While I do my best to accommodate her, I can't leave the back door open and simply wait for her to make up her mind (goes back to the expectations). When the dogs go out, ALL the dogs go out and we go out together. Same for coming back inside - we do it together. Having the option of remaining inside while everyone else is out, is not available, nor is it up for discussion. Areas like this is where you have to be gentle and reassuring, but also firm and insistent. The rules are the rules and again, this still tracks back to teaching expectations. There is a fine balance between empathizing with the dog and where he or she has come from and providing the leadership and guidance all rescue dogs need. It can be dangerous to give the dog, too much leeway because you feel sorry for them. Dogs are after all the consummate opportunists and will capitalize on any situation they can. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. It's not wrong for them to be this way, it's a survival instinct. However, guardians of these dogs, we have to be careful not to give away the farm.

In redefining her definition of the equation, I use myself as an her example. I'm teaching her a heel of sorts, by patting the side of my leg, I do this each time I start walking away and I want her to follow. Additionally, I'm careful to do this at her eye level. Mill dogs generally don't look up at people although Lisa again with the help of the "Watch Me" command is making more and more eye contact. When she does follow me and gets close enough for me to touch her, she'll get her reward, praise followed by a minute of pets and affection. Of course, every time I pat my leg, the boys coming running over and try to do a heel, too. We have quite the circus going on at my house!

0 comments:

Post a Comment